The Mining Museum conducts rolling displays every few months which highlight an item or information housed in the Museum. The latest display shows Herberton Local Government November 1881 to March 2008.
The Mining Museum is also a willing participant in other events around town some of which include: A Pioneers Weekend in May, organised by the Historic Village; October’s annual Jacaranda Festival, organised by the Atherton-Herberton Historic Railway and the Herberton Business and Tourism Association; an annual Ghost Walk, that sees the appearance of some past identities of Herberton come back to tell their story, also organised by the Lions Club. Note that past stories are published in two volumes ‘Ghosts of a Mining Town’, which are available from the Mining Museum or the Historic Village. Check for dates of the next event.
Herberton the town has lots to see and do, not to mention the interesting country which surrounds us. You can visit the Padre White Reflection Park at the entrance to the Herberton Cemetery, which was established 1886. Padre White is recorded as conducting the first Dawn Service held in Australia. Wilhelmina (Bill,Girlie) Smith, Australia’s first female jockey, is buried here. A book documenting her life story is available from the Mining Museum. There’s also the Rose Lane cemetery, Herberton’s first cemetery before it was relocated to the present site in Syme road. Here Christie Palmerston buried his companion Pompo, the person who saved his life on several occasions.
Herberton the town, established in 1880 and the oldest still existing established town on the Atherton Tableland, has many Heritage listed buildings and sites. These include: the Jack & Newell building and fuel bowser on the corner of Grace and William Street; Great Northern Mine site Jacks Road, on which the Herberton Mining Museum is located; Herberton School of Arts building Grace Street Herberton; Holy Trinity Anglican Church 38 Broadway; Herberton War Memorial corner Myers and Perkins Street; the Uniting Church (formerly the Presbyterian Church) at 2 Lillian Street.
Visit Herberton in October to see the Jacaranda trees, which are offspring of the original tree which was grown from seed by John Newell one of the town’s founders. The old Herberton Post Office (now Herberton Heritage Cottage B & B) is the start of the Herberton town walk. Collect a copy of the brochure at the Herberton Mining Museum. And don’t forget to drop in to one of the local shops and cafes. You will always be welcomed.
© Herberton Mining Museum History Association 2023